return to the this is Nottingham Bloggers home page

Thursday 17 July 2008

Why does it always rain on me?

I SHOULD be high in the Alps right now, looking out across Austria.

I should be excited about exploring ice and mammoth caves inside the Dachstein mountains, visiting the famous Ice Palace and King Artus’ Cathedral where the preserved bones of a cave bear were apparently once discovered.

Instead, I am sat alone in a cold reception area inside the Magpies’ training-base with rain beating heavily against the window.

Why today? Of all days, why today? Yesterday was a gloriously sunny day. The sky was a beautiful blue. Today, it’s typically damp and miserable.

Having spent the week at the foot of the magnificent mountains that surround the National Sports Centre in Obertraun, I was looking forward to taking a ride on the Dachstein World Heritage Cable Car and standing at its peak.

Some were nervous. I won’t name names, but some of the players were uneasy about being lifted high into the mountains in a small metal cage suspended only by a piece of wire, but not me (I still only had a light breakfast, just in case).

But then the rain came and put paid to the trip.

I am feeling so sorry for myself I can almost hear Travis singing their hit single ‘Why Does It Always Rain On Me’.

Actually, it could just be Motherwell boss Mark McGhee, who has brought his side here for pre-season training, stood talking to one of his players or coaches outside.

I am going for a coffee.

0 comments: